How Do I Become A Member and What Do I Do Next?
Social member or full dues-paying member?
Anyone is welcome to participate in Facebook, Meetup and other social media discussions. Many of our classes are open to the public, and you can bring your projects to work on during Open Make nights on Tuesdays (except the first Tuesday of the month, which is a closed members' meeting). Ask for a tour of the space if you haven't already been shown around.
- If you haven't already, join the social media groups below so you can participate in discussions and know what's going on at the Hackerspace, including classes and meet-ups. Meetup is THE place where schedules are posted. Join Slack for various topical conversations with other members.
- Social media and member communication:
- Certain classes and tools are open to members only. Members get 24/7 access to the space, and can use any of our tools once they're trained (non-members can take some of the tool use classes but must purchase day passes to use them).
To become a full member
- Go to the main Tampa Hackerspace webpage
- Select Membership from the top menu bar
- Follow the instructions on that page.
Ok, cool, I'm a member.... Now what?
- Introduce yourself to the Board of Directors.
- Start a discussion: Ask a question or post a link about a topic that interests you.
- Come to an Open Make night! Most Tuesdays are Open Make nights when everyone is invited. Members are encouraged to bring their projects to work on, or just to come and talk with other members about projects or topics of interest. The FIRST Tuesday of the month is a Member's Only meeting.
- Take a class! Even if you don't know how to do something, you can learn how. We offer classes in how to use our tools and in other topics of interest. Some of the Fall 2015 classes include:
- Introduction to Radio waves and Antennas // Introduction to Cellular Communications // GNU Radio // Software Defined Radio
- e-Nable Workshop. Building 3D Printed Prosthetics
- OpenSCAD Introduction
- Multi-rotor Build, plan and troubleshoot
- SKILL: Intro To Soldering
- Learn to Pick Locks
- 3D Printer Orientation
- Laser Cutter Orientation
- Host a meeting. If there's a topic that interests you, find other people who are interested and schedule a time to meet and discuss.
- Teach a class! If you're proficient in a topic and want to teach a class about it, talk to a member of the Board.
- Use our tools to make things!
- Come to Board-game night!
I Don't Know What to Make...
- Well, what are you interested in?
- Learning about electronics? Quad-copters? 3d Printing? Sewing? Using a Laser to precisely cut material? Woodworking? Metal shop machining? Molding plastic or aluminum? CNC cutting? The Tampa Hackerspace has tools and resources for all of these.
- Check out this page one of our members wrote up that talks about using the tools at the Space for making all kinds of Steampunk creations. Even if you're not interested in Steampunk, it talks about many different types of projects our tools can be used for.
- Search Thingiverse for something interesting.
- Search Pinterest for ideas!